Congratulations to Ash Bowling Club, which celebrates 100 years of bowling in the village this weekend. The club's bowling green, in Moat Lane, was opened on June 6, 1911.
The club was formed in June 1910, when the first general meeting was held and officers elected. The annual membership fee was five shillings (25p) in modern money. But agricultural labourers in the area then earned only 13 shiliings and fourpence (67p) a week!
Centenary celebrations - including a dinner and invitation tournament are planned for July 1,2 and 3.
For a brief history of the club, compiled by its members, go here.